How I Discovered RD Was My Best Friend (And Not My Boring Savings Account)
A few years ago, I used to think that just keeping my salary in a savings account was enough. You know how it is – you get your money, spend a little, save a little, and the rest just sleeps there in the bank.
But one fine evening, sitting at a small chai tapri near Bandra Station, over a cutting chai and some hot samosas, my old friend Rohit said something that changed my view forever.
He said, “Bhai, why are you letting your money snore in the savings account when it can run a mini marathon for you every month?”
I laughed at first. But then he explained, and my eyes opened wide.
My Small Saving, Big Realisation
Let’s say, like me, you keep ₹5,000 extra every month in your savings account.
Now, most banks in India – like SBI, HDFC, ICICI – give only around 2.5% to 4% interest per year on savings accounts.
(And believe me, they don’t even tell you when they quietly cut this rate.)
If I had ₹5,000 x 12 months = ₹60,000 in a year lying in my savings account, at 3% annual interest, it would give me just about ₹1,800 in a whole year.
Now hear this – if instead, I had put that same ₹5,000 per month into a Recurring Deposit (RD) for one year at 6.5% (a common rate at many banks right now), I would have earned about ₹2,200–₹2,400 extra.
That's 25-30% more returns, for doing the same saving – just with a little planning.
What Makes RD So Special for Normal People Like Me?
When I started my first RD in 2022, with ₹3,000 per month at a branch in Thane, I felt a bit proud.
It was the first time I was not just saving, but growing my money without doing anything fancy.
Here’s why I personally found RD to be better than my boring savings account:
✅ Fixed Higher Interest:
Savings account keeps fluctuating. RD is fixed from day one. I locked mine at 6.7% for 2 years.
✅ Disciplined Saving:
RD pulled money from my account every month automatically. Even if I forgot, the bank didn’t.
✅ Safe and Tension-Free:
No stock market drama. No crypto heart attack.
RD is backed by the bank and insured up to ₹5 lakh under DICGC.
✅ Flexible Tenures:
You can start for just 6 months also. I did for 2 years because I was saving for a Goa trip with my family. (Yes, RD paid for it later!)
Real Life Example - Mumbai Local Style!
Suppose you take a second-class train pass from Dadar to Churchgate – monthly around ₹150.
Now imagine if instead of just spending, you saved ₹150 daily in an RD (₹4,500/month).
At the end of 1 year, with 6.5% interest, you would have around ₹55,800 instead of ₹54,000 — almost a free 4-5 local trips worth of bonus without doing anything extra.
Small amounts, daily habits – that's how RD quietly makes you richer.
When RD May NOT Be Perfect?
Let me be honest too – RD is great, but it’s not for everyone every time.
-
If you suddenly need money, breaking an RD early can cost you penalty charges.
-
If you want very high returns, like 12-15%, then mutual funds or stocks are needed (but they have risks).
-
RD is like a good old Maruti 800 – not a Ferrari, but reliable for daily use.
For short goals like weddings, trips, emergency funds – RD is perfect.
For long-term wealth building (like 10-20 years), you can explore other options once you get confident.
Final Words From My Heart
Today, when I look back, I'm grateful I listened to Rohit over that tapri chai.
Starting small RDs gave me confidence about saving money smartly, and now I even guide my cousins and friends.
In life, it’s not about how much you earn. It's about how smartly you save and grow.
And for most of us, simple tools like RD are the perfect first step towards financial freedom.
So if you are still keeping your hard-earned money lazy in your savings account – wake it up! Start a small RD today. Trust me, future you will thank you.
Happy Saving, Happy Growing!
– Sanjay Kapoor, Read More on my blog
Comments
Post a Comment